Resources - November 15, 2019
How to Convince a Parent to Consider Assisted Living
Are you run ragged? Struggling to balance family and work? It’s stressful dealing with parental emergencies, doctor visits and the constant feeling that your loved one needs help and attention you can’t give.
You know your family member should move somewhere more suitable. But how do you persuade them when they are convinced that moving to an assisted living context means giving up autonomy? It helps to show your loved one that moving into senior living is a move forward toward fun, friends and increased independence. Here are five reasons moving into Goodwin House will help your loved one live their best life.
- Fun and Friends – Cocktails on the patio, a leisurely swim in a heated pool, card games with friends or a stroll through the gardens—all are within steps of the lovely apartments at Goodwin House. If your loved one is worried about losing touch with family by moving into assisted living, they can invite guests to dinner in one of the outstanding dining venues.
- Improved Health – A poor diet and sedentary lifestyle can accelerate aging. At Goodwin House, residents have only to walk out their doors to go to the pool, gym or garden for daily exercise. Plus, each meal is planned by a registered dietitian and prepared by an expert chef with the right nutritional balance. Additionally, Goodwin House offers a spa where residents can warm up in a sauna or soak in a hot tub, the ideal remedy for stiff joints and sore muscles.
- Immediate Medical Care – The fear of falling and being unable to call for help is real for our family members living alone, even if they don’t admit it. Fully staffed with attentive and caring team members who are not too busy or too far away, Goodwin House offers immediate assistance and expert medical care.
- No Housework – No one wants to do laundry or clean house. At Goodwin House, assisted living residents enjoy weekly housekeeping and laundry service, providing time for more enjoyable pursuits.
- Opportunities to Learn New Things – Art classes, woodworking, lectures, workshops and trips to museums are standard occurrences at Goodwin House. We like to offer new adventures. Several current residents have discovered their inner painter or art critic. Others have developed a passion for poker. For others, the creative passion has always been there, but the facilities haven’t. We offer a woodworking shop and art studio, allowing residents to pursue their interests.
We can help answer questions and schedule a personal visit for you and your family, so please contact us. We would love to welcome you to the Goodwin House family.