Our Resources & Guides
Through these times, we can benefit from simple guides we can keep on hand. From what you need to know to stay safe during a pandemic to tips for staying calm through peaceful and creative activities, we have prepared resources with you in mind.
COVID-19: What You Need to Know to Stay Safe, Now and Into Flu Season.
As the world was first hearing about the novel coronavirus we now refer to as COVID-19, we were also hearing a lot about how it was affecting older adults. And the news wasn’t good. It seemed older adults were more likely to have severe cases and more likely to die from the disease. Here’s what you need to know to stay safe.
As experts expect a surge of COVID-19 cases to coincide with the fall flu season this year, we asked one of our medical directors to provide a physician’s perspective on the pandemic. Dr. Margaret Gloria offered helpful suggestions for staying safe both now and throughout flu season.
Staying Healthy and Active as You Live Your Lives with COVID-19 Precautions
We have all been washing our hands since we were children. In today’s world, that simple task takes on new importance. What other hygiene tips are good to keep top of mind at any time, and especially to keep us safe from infections? Download our Stay Healthy Guide and keep it handy!
Staying Nourished, Fit and Engaged During the Pandemic
This guide offers a ton of resources: grocery delivery options, an at-home exercise routine, sites where you can find music, television, books to enjoy at home, and so much more. Discover sources to help you stay nourished, fit and engaged during the pandemic.
StrongerMemory: Fighting Cognitive Decline
Goodwin House President & CEO Rob Liebreich designed the StrongerMemory program to help people with mild cognitive impairment or early signs of dementia, but anyone can use these resources to keep their brain sharp! StrongerMemory involves the three practices: simple math done quickly, reading out loud and writing longhand. Learn about the program and try out some of the packets we’ve posted in our blog!
Webinars You Can Watch Now
Over the past several months, Goodwin House at Home and the Goodwin House Life Plan Communities have hosted a number of informative and engaging webinars. Here are some of our favorites.
- Staying Well This Fall and Winter (October 20, 2020 – 1 hour) Goodwin House Medical Director Dr. Maggie Gloria shared updates and recommendations on ways you can remain safe, healthy and engaged as we enter flu season. You will learn virus prevention measures, progress on vaccines and how to maintain the dimensions of wellness amidst social distancing guidelines.
- Life with Goodwin House: Staying Safe, Secure, and Engaged during COVID-19 (November 2020 – 1 hour) When you consider a move to a senior living community, you want to know your new home is physically safe and financially secure. You also want to know you have events and activities designed to keep you active and engaged. Hear how the top Goodwin House Inc. leaders are ensuring safety and security of residents, staff and our greater community of Northern Virginia.
- Community Living or Age in Place: Get the Best of Both Worlds with Goodwin House (October 16, 2020 – 1 hour) Whether you prefer community living or aging in place, you may be considering Goodwin House as your partner in aging. If you choose us as your partner, we want to be sure you are getting the most out of our relationship. Find out how you can get the best of both worlds with Goodwin House—age in place now and become a resident in the future, all with the same peace of mind!
- Advance Care Planning (July 1, 2020 – 50 minutes) Learn about Advance Care Planning from this discussion led by Nathan Kottcamp and Dr. Farrah Daly. Mr. Kottkamp is a Partner at Waller Law Firm and Founder and Chair of National Healthcare Decisions Day. Dr. Daly is a neurologist and consultant to Goodwin House Hospice and Palliative Care.
- Stay Healthy and Fit at Home (June 24, 2020 – 1 hour) Learn about the four components of fitness – Strength, Coordination, Flexibility, and Balance – from Goodwin House Fitness Managers Leslie LaPlace and Sherry Compton. In this demonstration-style webinar, Leslie and Sherry shared creative ways to incorporate exercises, you can do at home, to improve all four fitness components.
- Taming the Bear: Worry Less and Breathe More in Today’s Market (May 7, 2020 – 55 minutes)Learn about perspective and planning to navigate bear markets with strategy and peace of mind. Financial experts Laurie Blackburn, Senior Vice President of Wells Fargo Investments, and Kelly Campbell, Chairman and CEO of Campbell Wealth Management, shared their insights and historical analysis and fielded audience questions in this content-rich webinar.
- Decluttering and Downsizing (July 7, 2020 – 1 hour) Whether you are aging in place in your home or planning to move into a life plan community, decluttering your home leads to a safer and less stressful environment. Eileen Spata, Sales Director and Client Experience Manager at Wayforth and respected expert in decluttering and downsizing, shared her tips and tricks make the process manageable in a demonstration-based webinar. Eileen also fielded audience questions about organizing, donating, and selling personal items.
- How to Stay Safe through Re-Opening (July 16, 2020 – 1 hour) Gain the most up to date facts on staying safe as Northern Virginia has moved into Phase Two of the state’s reopening plan. Dr. Maggie Gloria, Medical Director of Goodwin House Hospice, shared the most recent research on COVID-19 testing, treatments, vaccine trials and affirmation of the most effective practices to staying safe and fielded a range of questions on specific infection precaution practices – from the best masks to use to having family visit in your home to taking walks with friends. In addition, Lindsay Hutter, Goodwin House Incorporated Chief Strategy & Marketing Officer, provided an update on Goodwin House’s infection precaution protocols.
- Financing Your New Future (July 28, 2020 – 1 hour) Learn about the importance of planning for your future. Leading experts Howard Gleckman and Tom West shared their insights and knowledge about the future for accessibility and affordability of health care as we age. Howard and Tom are sought-after speakers who contribute regularly to national periodicals and news media.
- Staying Safe: Summer Re-Opening & Fall and Winter Planning (April 16, 2020 – 1 hour) Dr. Margaret Gloria, Goodwin House Hospice Medical Director, reports on what we can expect during the peak and precaution efforts that are important to maintain. Following Dr. Gloria’s medical presentation, Goodwin House Director of Clinical Pastoral Education Liz Pomerleau shares information on ways we can maintain our emotional and mental health during this time of grief and emotional upheaval.
We recommend the following resources for the latest, trustworthy information regarding COVID-19: