Palliative Care and Hospice
Available to residents in our Life Plan Communities and individuals living in their homes throughout Northern Virginia
Goodwin House Palliative Care and Hospice grew from a need within our Life Plan Communities (often called Continuing Care Retirement Communities) two decades ago when residents expressed a desire for Goodwin House to provide services at the end of life that allowed them to live their last days in their apartment home with dignity and in comfort. Today, Goodwin House Palliative Care and Hospice is a well-respected and award-winning program serving older adults in our two Life Plan Communities and also providing hospice services to individuals ages 18+ living in their own homes throughout Northern Virginia.
- Palliative care is specialized medical care for persons with serious illnesses who often continue to seek curative treatment. Palliative care focuses on providing relief from both the symptoms and the stress of the illness. Palliative care at this time is only provided to Goodwin House’s two Life Plan Communities.
- Hospice provides compassionate care for persons facing end of life and begins when curative treatments have ended. Our goal is to improve the quality of life for both patients and their families.
Our team members are practitioners trained in the specialized care of end-of-life. We work in a team setting, providing patients, their families and their caregivers with physical, emotional and spiritual care and support. We tailor our services to meet the needs and wishes of both our patients and their families, and we are reachable 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
For more information:
- Learn more about the benefits of palliative care by viewing this video from the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.
- Download information about Goodwin House’s in-home hospice care program.
- Learn about some of the honors that we have received for our palliative care and hospice programs.
- Contact us at 703-578-7108 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be a Friendly Visitor for a Hospice Patient!
Goodwin House Palliative Care and Hospice is seeking volunteers to serve in their expanding program to serve Northern Virginia residents in their homes. As a volunteer, you will offer the comfort and companionship of a friendly visit with hospice patients. You may also provide respite by sitting with patients while their family members and care providers leave the house, or assist with running errands. Must be able to visit a hospice patient in his/her own home at least once a week. Orientation and ongoing training will be provided. Please join our hospice team for this rewarding work!