Spirituality and Aging
At Goodwin House, we have a value on Individuality. We believe that each person is of sacred worth. We celebrate the uniqueness and diversity of the members of our community. This value supports both organizational, as well as resident-driven opportunities that support spirituality and aging.
As an organization, our Clinical Pastoral Education Program trains professionals of various faith backgrounds to help support the spiritual needs of their congregations. Learn more.
Goodwin House residents volunteered numerous hours in their local communities in an effort to help improve the lives of others. The hours included in this annual report only reflect those that were contributed through committees of the Resident Councils. Many more hours were donated through individual efforts. We are pleased to share some of the successes of the Goodwin House Alexandria Chapel Committee and the Goodwin House Bailey’s Crossroads Outreach Committee.
In FY 2015, Goodwin House Alexandria Memorial Chapel Outreach Committee made the following contributions:
- Collected $1,114 dollars, which were matched by Goodwin House Foundation, in order to send $2,228 for victims of Hurricane Joaquin
- Knitted hats, mittens, scarves and afghans valued at $3,360
- Donated funds through the Advent Angel Tree to go to the Culmore Clinic
- Hosted a 5-part series on the Ebola Crisis and encouraging donations to help the effort
- Held a clothing drive every month to support the Northern Virginia Family Services mission
- Assembled kits that prevent dehydration in poor countries
In FY 2015, Goodwin House Bailey’s Crossroads Community Outreach Committee made the following contributions:
- Set up exam rooms at the Culmore Clinic for uninsured, low income individuals
- Collected expired, but useable food to donate to Restoration Ministries
- Collected clothing, books and furnishings for the Bailey’s Crossroads Community Shelter
- Knitted sweaters for children in third world countries (240 sweaters in 2015)
- Taught English for Speakers of Other Languages to individuals working to improve their skills
- Collected funds to purchase Christmas presents for the Patrick Henry Homeless Shelter
- Sponsored Thanksgiving Dinner for the Bailey’s Crossroads Community Shelter