News - December 10, 2019
This weekend, Goodwin House Incorporated (GHI) delightedly sponsored a popular annual tradition in historic Alexandria, Virginia. Hosted by The Campagna Center, The Scottish Christmas Walk Weekend features a series of events that celebrate the town’s Scottish roots. The parade itself is highly attended. Crowds lined the streets to enjoy strolling displays of Scottish bagpipes and drums, dancers, dogs, classic cars and dignitaries. Goodwin House residents, members and employees donned tartan scarves and encouraged everyone to “Do a Happy Jig, All Life Long.”
About Alexandria’s Scottish History:
In 1669, Scotsman John Alexander purchased the land near current day Old Town Alexandria. He claimed to have bought it from an English sea captain for “six thousand pounds of tobacco and cask.” Alexandria’s first mayor was also a Scotsman. William Ramsay played a key role in the development of the town. Today, Alexandria’s sister city is Dundee, Scotland, and every year, the Lord Provost of Dundee is invited to join in this celebration. This year, Dundee’s Right Honourable Lord Lieutenant and Lord Provost, Ian Borthwick traveled to Old Town to take part.
About The Campagna Center:
The Campagna Center is a not-for-profit human services organization that taps deeply into community resources to provide programs that strengthen families and help children become caring, productive adults. Since 1945, The Campagna Center has provided quality programming and services to meet the ever-changing needs of Alexandria, Virginia.